Nearly three years later, here I am again. Inspired by an old friend's recent blog post I decided to download this app and give it a true chance. So here's to jumping in feet first, again. Nothing wrong with tip toeing a little bit before going all in! After all, I'm not an eager and uninhibited child anymore. I'm a 36 year old who has been tip toeing just up to my knees for years!
That being said, this blog is for me, as a way to organize my thoughts and process daily life. In case others end up reading this, let me start with a little background. I am a firm believer that context is key! I also say that as an excuse to share some basic stuff, but really, it will be good for me to remember where I came from and to remind myself who I am today.
Born and raised in Portland, Maine I was the oldest child. My younger sister, was my real life baby doll. I say that, not in some deranged way, but because that is how protective of her I was (and in many ways still am). Four years her senior, I was so concerned about her happiness and mostly her safety, that looking back, I must have suffocated her. Being just a kid myself, I didn't know any better. I thought I was doing what all Big Sisters did: making sure she didn't fall and scrape her knee, didn't get into trouble and didn't go through any unnecessary life lessons. I had been there, done that and just wanted to protect her. What really happened is I didn't let her be a kid as I should have, or perhaps, even be her own person. As you can imagine, this, coupled with going through adolescence, really put a strain on our relationship. It took becoming adults, going to college and not living together (gaining perspective) for us to really become friends again. I am so thankful for her friendship and to have had our bond, the kind only siblings can have, withstand all the crap we went through together growing up. Now we live a block away and truly are best friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment